Master of Buddhism Course

This is a blog for the course comments from the Master of Buddhism course through the Universal Life Church Seminary.
The course can be found at Buddhism Course.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Buddhism Course


1.            Could the fact that the Dharma wasn’t written by the Buddha himself be problematic? If so, in what ways? Dharma as defined in the teachings of the Buddha.
Not a problem at all. Like most religious and philosophical schools of thought-yes there may have been some creative licenses taken-maybe more than a few. But you make chocolate cake batter-then you have to leave-say go somewhere, and you say add some coconut to the batter before you bake the tins-I say ok. I look and no coconut, empty pockets, and the plastic is maxed out-no, what am I to do-I gave my word. So I search the pantry, the cupboards, everywhere, I find a can of sauerkraut, some tomatoes-peeled, some mace, some allspice, and two onions. 


I wash the sauerkraut in colander-three times in cold water. I fold it into the batter, in turn the tins onto a cooling rack; I put a German Chocolate filling in the middle layers, and top with a Dutch Chocolate Royale Icing. It has been covered. When you return you take a slice, grab a fork, and enjoy. I thank you for pre-making the filing, and having a candy thermometer for the Icing.
You see this stringy stuff in your cake, smile, and ask where the coconut came from. I smile, and show you the empty sauerkraut can-we have a good laugh. I look at you and say, it is called Fudge Surprise Cake, and we both know the surprise. Then I ask your forgiveness for not complying with your instructions. You wave it off, saying “shows good adaptability to the situation”. “You used what was available, under the circumstances=very good too, doesn’t taste like sauerkraut-either. No I washed it in cool water. What you say is, you appreciate I did not incur any additional expense to the household budget. Then you say, I wanted to see how you would carry out the instructions-you did well, and you did not hide the sauerkraut, you made a decision, and it worked out well. So did I change the original formula-yes, but it worked well, and it still had the stringy stuff, and no sauerkraut taste or smell-it was baked out. 
If no one told you it would be seamless, and continuity was retained-it has the same look and feel. I also put the sauerkraut can in the metal recyclables container, after cutting out the other end, and flattening the can. All is good, and sauerkraut is usually cheaper-in most USA markets, anyway. The concept for all appearances and taste buds is maintained, even after many generations, and lots of forks full’s of cake.
2.            Imagine you are preparing to go for refuge. What necessary changes would you need to make in your life first?
Personally I would like three days of aloneness to contemplate and meditate. This is a life change situation, so I do the three days, I prepay the bills for the period of the refuge, make the travel, transportation and lodging arrangements, put a holiday hold on the mail, pack-and close the door. Give me five days and I can be on the Light Rail to the Airport. Check customs do the body scans, and wait for the gate to open, board the plane. That simple, I have traveled a lot in the past. Part of the five days is the Visa, and credential check and approval. My passport is current. I live alone, and do not have pets, I have many critter friends, but none live with me. I keep my shots current, and have a medical insurance policy that is written for International coverage. I have HMO coverage for stateside issues, and still travel, just not as much as I used to. So Yes, five days, and I am there.
3.      When going for refuge, are you relying on forces outside of yourself for peace of mind, or are the Three Jewels ultimately found inside yourself?
The three Jewels most definitely, because it is a life changing event. For seventeen years I traveled a lot, I was usually home 30-65 days a year, and no more than three weeks at one time was I in the USA. Made for rapid promotions, but really hard on family life. You learn to write letters-this was pre-internet. You pick up a post card when and where you can. Usually the hardest part was finding a post office, and buying the postage. If someone was going into town, you hand them the letters you have written, and give that person-more than enough for the postage. Say the postage would be ten US Dollars, give them a twenty. By doing this, you had pretty good odds the letters would get posted. Once internet was up and available to the general public at a reasonable price; it seemed I traveled a lot less; then when internet cameras became common place and internet conferencing was available I used that to cut down on my traveling even more. Made for better family life.
I will even come with seven Bodhi tree seeds I got on eBay, so that I can ask permission to plant these seeds on the grounds. New seed, because I am a new student Seven because it is Holy and some say Sacred. Bodhi, because it was under one that the Buddha was able to find enlightenment. A free gift, because I come as a seeker, and searcher, I am new, as is the seed. If it meets with your approval Sister, may I pant these new life forms in the mother earth, to help those who may follow, and for those who remain a memory, a reminder that, that which was new-may bloom and grow-yet again anew?
I do this to Honor the Buddha, his teachings, and the Monks and Nuns that live here. A visual representation of this honor; this is a free will gift, not evil, I believe it to be good, and again there is the actualization for others-in the trees. Because being are numberless, and having vowed to save them- I ask to plant these Bodhi; because they will remain on the grounds after I have left-I am not attached to these Bodhi; when I plant these trees if allowed, it will bring seven more beings life-where there was not Bodhi. The truths of the Buddha I cannot match-but I will one day attain, that which is attainable.



*******************************
The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have classes in Christianity, Wicca, Paganism, two courses in Metaphysics and much more. 
Ordination with the Universal Life Church, is free,  and lasts for life, so use the Free Online Ordination, button.
The  ULC, run by Rev. Long, has created a chaplaincy program to help train our ministers. We also have a huge catalog of Universal Life Church materials.  I've been ordained with the Universal Life Church for many years and it's Seminary since the beginning and have loved watching the continual growth of the seminary.
 
Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment