Master of Buddhism Course

This is a blog for the course comments from the Master of Buddhism course through the Universal Life Church Seminary.
The course can be found at Buddhism Course.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Buddhism Course


About 10 years ago I developed an interest in Buddhism after studying a number of other religions and spiritual paths. I began practicing meditation and attending classes soon after. As I learned more about Buddhist practice I realized I seemed to naturally fit in with it and it with me and I also realised that this was the path I had been looking for all through my life.

This course, The Master of Buddhist Studies, has helped me gain a more rounded understanding of the many aspects of Buddhism and how being a Buddhist has affected my life making me a more peaceful, relaxed person, more capable of dealing with life and all its difficulties. It has helped to change my view of life as such and reinforced to me the interconnectedness of all things and the importance of doing the right thing from a Karmic perspective.
The study of Buddhism appears to affect many people in a similar way.      “Personally, the practice of Buddhism has affected my life greatly.  I think it has brought me great peace, made me a more understanding and compassionate person.”  Quote from http://www.drbachinese.org/drby/articles/english/article13.htm
Since beginning the course I have been regularly attending activities and began volunteering at our local Mahayana Zen Buddhist temple, Nan Tien. It is a large temple with a number of Chinese Nuns in residence. The temple is in the process of building the first Buddhist University in Australia and will be starting courses there in the near future. Since completing this course of study I have been encouraged to continue to study Buddhism in depth and intend to become a student at the University when it is completed.

During the course it was interesting to learn how Buddhism has changed and evolved to become acceptable to Western cultures while at the same time not changing its fundamental principles. This is clearly seen from a quote as follows:  
“I remember when there usually wasn't one shelf in a bookstore for Buddhism, or even Eastern Spirituality. Back then, there were more Buddhas in America in glass cases in museums (statues) than living beings teaching and practicing the way.  Now, it's accepted in the mainstream.  In fact, a recent poll found one in eight Americans affirming they've heard teachings of the Buddha which they consider of lasting influence in their lives.  That's really interesting.  So people don't have to formally say their Buddhist to appreciate the Buddha, any more than one has to say one is an Einsteinian to accept the theory of relativity.  So even if Buddhism, per se, might never become a mainstream religion in the West, its influence is mainstream”. Gary Gach, author of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Buddhism 3rd Edition" http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=25,9219,0,0,1,0

Some of the most important things I have learned from the course are these:
o   Buddhism is a way of life that is to be UNDERSTOOD & PRACTISED.
o   Buddhism is a path to 'awakening' from the delusions of life
o   Buddhism is a way to achieve freedom from suffering.
o   Buddhism can be experienced and practiced with immediate results.
o   Buddhism is not a religion, does not support the view of a Supreme Being, nor is it based on blind faith.
o   Buddhists do not condemn non-believers or non-followers. Anyone is free to study and learn the Dhamma regardless of whether he/she is a Buddhist or not.
In the Dhamma Encyclopedia it is stated that “The Buddhist definition of faith is: Believing with confidence through understanding and wisdom”.

The course has reinforced for me that basically Buddhism is a simple and common sense path. It teaches us to be kind, take care of those around us and generally just be a good person.    




*******************************
The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have classes in Christianity, Wicca, Paganism, two courses in Metaphysics and much more. 
Ordination with the Universal Life Church, is free,  and lasts for life, so use the Free Online Ordination, button. 
The  ULC, run by Rev. Long, has created a chaplaincy program to help train our ministers. We also have a huge catalog of Universal Life Church materials.  I've been ordained with the Universal Life Church for many years and it's Seminary since the beginning and have loved watching the continual growth of the seminary.
 
Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment